The Last Word
Published: Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Updated: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:09
As the graduating class prepares to embark on the world beyond KMC, several of its most thoughtful members agreed to share their last words with each other and the Stern Commnuity at large. Read ahead to be amused, inspired, and more than a little bit touched.
I don't want to say "Good-by", I just want to say "See you soon, Sternies...in NYC, in Tokyo, or somewhere else in the world!!". Thanks so much for a number of priceless memories. Love you all!!
Please make sure you donate to the Stern Legacy gift - we have an opportunity to change lives with this. In twenty years when we look back and a Stern alum has just been elected President of the Intergalactic Federation, they'll know who to thank for inspiring them to seek public office: the Stern Class of 2010.
To my fellow classmates, now lifelong friends, thank you for an amazing two years. While the memories I will carry with me are endless, I want to highlight a couple that always make me smile.
I will always remember:
The admissions officer doing the worm at OP
Babel and how we danced the night away—and then the door that mysteriously collapsed
Our marathon of Beyonce videos while "studying" for finals
The Beijing warriors and how we fought our way up the Great Wall in what felt like subzero temperatures
Our sprawling "flat" and sunsets in the Western Cape accompanied by our favorite neighbor "Bob"
Our inheritance plan for the Nete-booke
Late nights studying for accounting and calling professionals who were also confused by our assignment
The mosquito that slipped into our car while driving through Mozambique
Block 6 had our final block happy hour this past Monday to celebrate the end of a great 2 years. With an outstanding 40+ turnout, we awarded the winners of our assassin game and awarded superlatives based on a survey that was sent out. The results were as follows:
#1 Assassin - Catie Rosen
Assassin Sole Survivor - Janet Rutledge
Most likely to make the world a better place - Jennifer Gootman
Most likely to appear on COPS - Jose Baptista
Most sarcastic - Jared Goldstein
Most likely to appear on a reality TV show - (tie) Chima Ogbuokiri & Laura Braun
Most likely to become a millionaire - Efti Goumas
Most dazzling smile - Melyan Guerrero
Most memorable e-mail from a professor - Shawn Khazzam
Most likely to take over the world - Zubin Dalal
Best dressed - Shira Boehler
Made us laugh the loudest - Chima Ogbuokiri
Sexiest - Shira Boehler
Sweetest - Lily Wong
Smarty pants - Roy Carp
Consumed the most alcohol - Oliver Brassard
Partied the hardest - Jose Baptista
Thanks Block 6! You were the best!
A few things I will miss:
• My study group! Deborah, Rakesh, Jared, Rob, Hiro… you are all amazing friends and I couldn't have gotten through this without you all! I am sure we will keep in touch!
• My other Sternies- I loved working, chatting, traveling and dancing with all of you and although we'll be working, it is super easy to stay in touch
• The leadership lounge and all the ppl in it: I have called you home for two years and you always gave me a nice place to work and the occasional pizza… I will miss you!
• Classes: I learned so much and I am glad I forced myself to take the classes I did
• Official and unofficial Treks: I'm happy I took full advantage of this during the past two years and traveled with Sternies across the globe
• Okun/Marciano/Lechner: I've taken classes with each, at least twice, and wish I had more time
For Sternies future, past and present
• Stern should allow alumni to come back and audit any class
• MBA1s and MBA2s should know that our % of pledged donations are a strong factor in the business school rankings...Give back to the school--even if it's just $1.
•We truly are a collaborative community! Let's always maintain it.
• Despite the size, it truly is possible to fit 4 suits and 8 books in a locker.
•Student word of mouth about professors is sometimes right and sometimes wrong...ultimately a student is alone to figure it out for himself.
•The Strategy program can be hit or miss...frameworks anyone?
•The greatest class at Stern is the Cannes Film Festival Course.
•Read every issue of the Oppy!
•If you are hungry and want to save money, visit the Leadership Lounge each day.
•There is indeed a Chik-Fil-A on campus! Find it! It is a treasure.
•Relax don't stress over grades. You can't really get worse than a B.
•There is no reason why we should NOT be a Top 5 School in 3 years.
•Go to every Beer Blast...don't be lame and say you are tired from the week!
•Join an affinity club that is not your affinity.
•NYU Stern should publicly state that it cares about rankings.
•Increase the level of engagement with alumni--more coffee chats, more workshops, more speaker series = more prestige, more donations.
•Beer Blasts should have more scheduled food deliveries or order more food!
•Passport Day should be held 3 times a year!
My time at Stern has been made amazing through the close-knit community and entrepreneurial spirit of Stern students, so I hope that stays strong in future years!
•A happy orientation - ah, such sweet naivety...
•Pearls of financial wisdom: Profs Silber, Damodaran, Smith
•Union-busting and mass-firing for dummies by Prof Okun